Monday 26 November 2012

PAPER DRESSMAKING

As part of my new project "From 2D to 3D", for the Fashion Production and Processes module; as the brief is based on primarily pattern cutting, we were asked to design and create a paper dress through creating a Master draft and pattern pieces. We only had a day to do the pattern pieces and create the dress. Safe to say it was very stressful!
The first part of the pattern i drew was the bodice using a simple bodice block. I wanted a 'T' dart which i had heard was hard to make but i went for it anyway. I closed the darts and created a more central one. 
To create the large skirt i used a simple dress block and cut it into strips from the bottom. Depending on how big i wanted the skirt to be, i spread out the strips so i could trace to make a skirt pattern piece. 
After adding a 1cm seam allowance i was ready to cut out my final pattern pieces. 

 My dress is a little different to my original design. Main reason being i didn't completely like it that much. I'm not used to working with a pattern, i usually just work straight onto a mannequin. It was a lot less time consuming than working on a mannequin but i made alterations to my design because i didn't like the fit so much. I added darts into the shoulders and a front dart into the skirt. I also changed the way the skirt is pleated. Oh and the back, it was supposed to be plain but  i just started folding and got that result. 

I love my dress. I based my design on Fungi from my last project and created a mushroom style skirt. Paper was so difficult to sew! Every time a tried  to sew the 'T' dart the bodice would rip. I ended up using a domestic sewing machine to finish it off, much easier. My dress was not this creased when i made it, a bumpy taxi ride and wind didn't help with the matter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment