Tuesday 10 December 2013

URBAN OUTFITTERS DEVELOPMENT

I originally chose tartan as my trend for this project, but as I was toying with the idea of laying the embroidery over my models face, my boyfriend kindly expressed that he thought my model would end up looking like Mel Gibson in Braveheart. So floral it is! Floral is a forever recurring trend that can be worn throughout any season; whilst tartan on the other hand, on the mass scale is bound to be cast aside  any day now in my eyes. I was crushed when I had bought some vintage tartan fabric with plans of making a blazer for winter, only to see a similar jacket in Primark weeks later. Getting off point now. 

I found an old embroidery book from the 70's in a Charity Shop and it had a great pattern in it for a chair cover. I altered the design quite substantially to fit my aesthetic but it was a great starting point.
 I used 17 different coloured/shaded threads for this piece and it felt like it took about 100 hours. Hmm, that was probably an exaggeration… Let's just say it took a long time. I definitely underestimated how time consuming embroidery could be, this piece is about A4 size. 
I put my photoshoot images and embroidery into photoshop and played around with different compositions, opacity, layering, etc, etc. I ended up with a good amount of final ideas which is great, but not so great when you have to choose only one to submit!

No comments:

Post a Comment