Tuesday 12 March 2013

MAKING THE BLAZER

Although my model is a size 6/8 i decided to make a toile to make sure i made my final garment the correct size. I made my toile a size 12 as i wanted my garment to be a little over-sized, but it was just way too big, even for my mannequin. I decided from that to make a size 8, it was over-sized in the right areas, as well as being fitted. 
Main body almost completed, now for the tricky part.
I used interfacing for the lapels and the collar to keep them rigid.
I wasn't completely sure about what fabric to use for the collar, i compared black pvc, black cotton and suede, I went for faux leather. I thought it made the blazer look more expensive and it reminded me of a horse riding jacket.

 I was just going to make the blazer and style it with clothing from my wardrobe (i have a lot of 80s clothes in my collection). But i decided that as i had time, i might as well make as much as i could. I made a pair of faux leather trousers to contrast with the floral blazer. Surprisingly they were quite easy to make! I didn't have a pattern drawn up for the pants as they were so last minute, so i made straight-legged pants and would take them in according to fitting them to my model. I kept fitting and sewing them until i got the right shape. I also created a pink patterned blouse that tied at the bottom. I found the fabric in a charity shop from a long skirt, as well as the floral fabric for the blazer coming from some vintage curtains. Pretty sustainable.

Check out my Pinterest for my inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment