Wednesday 6 June 2012

FINAL EXHIBITION

I finally finished putting up my FMP exhibition today, personally i think it looks quite good. I'd rather there was more of a decorative element to it though, which i did try to create with the use of lights shining through my mannequin (but it's too sunny to notice). I also wanted my final leotard and cage to be hung from the ceiling but unfortunately the nails are so heavy, it was close to impossible. Improvisation! I absolutely love my glass heads, after this exhibition i'm going to put fairy lights in them and use them as decorative lamps! I still need to put my business cards out (which should be finished by tomorrow) and i'm considering putting out a little Comments Book, but i'm a bit worried incase no one writes in it, or does but it's negative. Any comments on here would be appreciated so i can improve?

Artist Statement
My project is based on the investigation, which I had undertaken on the hobbies of Elizabeth Báthory, a sixteenth century countess. Commonly known as “The Blood Countess” she has been labelled the most prolific female serial killer in history, with one source claiming Báthory was responsible for the deaths of over 650 victims. Countess Elizabeth Báthory is fairy unique in criminal history as being a woman who indulged in cannibalism and vampirism. The case has lead to legendary accounts of the Countess bathing in the blood of virgins in order to retain her youth as she is know to be a terrible vain and jealous woman.

The book ‘Evil Psychopaths’ is where the inspiration for this project originally came from, the profile of Countess Elizabeth Báthory was the most impacting because it was so extreme in comparison to the typical female killer, their method being indirect such as poison, rather than physical violence or torture.

I looked into various torturous methods and devices carried out in the Middle Ages as well as those performed by Elizabeth herself, on her innocent victims. This led me into looking at modern means of torture including that of Fetish and Bondage. I combined the two to create an inspired outfit based on one of Elizabeth Bathory’s devices, the “Iron Virgin” as I wanted to translate these methods into fabric manipulation techniques by symbolism. I used zips for torn mouths, ripping fabric for torn skin, spikes and metal to create the illusion of a cage and piercing flesh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment